Monday, April 27, 2009


April 24, Leaving Fogo Island


The week has come to an end and I enjoyed my stay but I a ready now to leave and go home. I thought I'd share two pictures of the replacement ferry that took over the transportation for the Farewell to Change Islands to Fogo Island on Friday after their regular ferry broke down on Wednesday. This transportation link is the only one the people have with the mainland of Newfoundland. The ferry is an important part of their lives.


I arrived back in Sandy Point around 11:30 pm on Friday night. The experience was great. Lillian Dwyer and her husband Clem, both are artisans from Fogo Island, were on the ferry (Nonia) with me as we made our way to Farewell. Lillian hooked away and we chatted the whole way making the trip seem short after the 5 hour wait on the dock to get on the ferry.

I have to thank Marcel Penton, Zita Cobb and Gordon Slade who made it possible for me to get on the first ferry crossing on Friday night. Thanks guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home